Aloha Airsoft

A gathering place for amateur and experienced airsoft players in the Aloha/Beaverton/Hillsboro area.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

the Pro's and Con's of Gas Guns

Go down 
AuthorMessage
vonboren

Weapon of Choice : Mac 11

PostSubject: the Pro's and Con's of Gas Guns   Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:05 am

Gas powered airsoft guns are a good alternative to an AEG or spring gun (presumably a shotgun) because they provide a lot of power in a small package. Most gas-powered airsoft guns are pistols but there are also several long guns that are gas-powered. There are two types of gas guns; blowback and non-blowback. Blowback airsoft guns function like the real deal with moving slides and everything. Non-blowback airsoft guns use a double-action lock with non-moving slides to conserve gas. Non-blowback guns tend to be cheaper than blowback guns because they usually have fewer moving parts than their counterpart. The two main gasses used to power gas guns are green gas. You can find Co2 cartridges in a variety of places and tend to be inexpensive. Green gas on the other hand is rather expensive and harder to find. Most people that own green gas guns buy and adapter that allows them to fill their guns with propane. Propane is also much cheaper and easier to come by than green gas.

Pro's to Using Gas Guns:
- You don't have to worry about charging batteries.
- Buying gas is much cheaper than buying another battery.
- If you run out of gas, you can instantly refuel the gun.
- Most are very powerful (over 330 fps).
- They do not wear out as fast as AEG's.

Con's to Using a Gas Gun:
- Propane is not the best-smelling gas.
- Some have small magazine capacities.
- Co2 cartridges are small but green gas and propane
canisters are somewhat large and bulky.

Hopefully this information will guide you to make a good decision in buying the right airsoft gun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
farraman
Admin

Weapon of Choice : Kalashnikov AK-47

PostSubject: Re: the Pro's and Con's of Gas Guns   Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:28 am

I definitely have some problems with the information on this post. First of all, the quote 'buying gas is much cheaper than buying another battery' may be true, but you're not going out and buying batteries every 2 weeks. Batteries last, and you can get a really good one for under $50 where as you're buying Co2 cartridges for about a buck fifty for 100 rounds. Plus, all you have to do to recharge a battery is plug it into the wall for a couple hours for free, instead of having to spend gas money to try and find a place that sells green gas or propane, and spend even more for the gas itself. Not to mention all of the landfill space being used by the empty Co2 cartridges that cannot be reused. AEG guns are far superior as far as cost of maintaining the life of your gun.

'They do not wear out as fast as AEG's' Alright, this is an outright lie. Gas cartridges and propane filled magazines run out much quicker than AEG batteries. I can fully charge my cheap 1100mAh battery and it will last me all day, while you're busy lugging around a huge container full of propane and having to refill every hundred or so rounds. Plus, if you choose propane over Co2, every time you take some air out of that tank, the overall pressure is gonna drop like a rock, so you may start out at 400fps, but your next fill's only gonna be 390fps, then 380 and so on. AEGs are more durable and long lasting on the battlefield.

'Most are very powerful (over 330 fps)' Again, the problem with this is simple physics. With every shot, you are losing gas and decreasing air pressure rapidly. No gas can hold a constant fps for the entire 100 shots listed. You may get a couple shots at 400 fps, but with each one you take, the pressure decreases, and your gun's gonna die on the battlefield. When those bbs start going at about 300 fps, they start dropping like rocks. The life of an AEG battery does not determine at all the velocity of the bb launched, the spring inside does. If you get an AEG listed at 380fps, that's what you're gonna get, with each and every shot.

I can fight the war of AEG over gas any day of the week, but I'm gonna stop here and let my partner rebuttal.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alohaairsoft.forumotion.com
vonboren

Weapon of Choice : Mac 11

PostSubject: Re: the Pro's and Con's of Gas Guns   Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:10 pm

I said that AEG guns don't last as long as gas guns. I never said anything about them holding more shots between refills than AEGs.
Also, gas expands so you should get at least 100 full powered shots before having the FPS start to drop. You can find Co2 cartidges at Aloha Surplus for 60 cents each. Anyone that pays $1.50 for a Co2 cartridge is a being ripped off. Batteries will also slowly run out of juice like gas eventually causing the gears to move slower and slower.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
farraman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: the Pro's and Con's of Gas Guns   Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:21 pm

What information led you to believe that AEGs don't last as long as gas guns? If you take good care of a gun with any type of power, it will last you a long time. The life of a gun is determined strictly on how it's taken care of, and looking at how half your guns are duct taped together, I wouldn't let you touch one of mine.

Yes gas expands, that's why you don't get the same pressure on every shot is what I'm saying. If you've ever taken physics, you would know that pressure is proportional to the amount of gas in a set volume. As the number of gas molecules within the cartridge goes down, the pressure inside the cartridge goes down and thus, the fps decreases with every shot taken.

Another thing to think about, you can always upgrade battery voltage and lifespan, while as you can only carry around more cartridges and canisters to weigh you down in combat.

Back to top Go down
pat224

PostSubject: Re: the Pro's and Con's of Gas Guns   Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:43 am

im gonna have to agree with farrman. AEG's are best because you dont have to constantly replace cartrages. you just need to charge it up before a battle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
farraman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: the Pro's and Con's of Gas Guns   Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:46 am

Although gas can be good in some situations where a short dispute is taking place between you and another player, they are not so good for long battles. I would definitely recommend a gas pistol over a spring pistol any day because if it's strength and ability to do semi auto. In fact, I often bring my brother's Co2 walther replica as a side arm, and it works pretty well. I don't discourage the use of gas airsoft guns, as it might have seemed in earlier posts, but just keep it to a side arm pistol for best results.

Back to top Go down
pat224

PostSubject: Re: the Pro's and Con's of Gas Guns   Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:41 pm

yeah, spring pistoles suck. a lot of the time, at least for me, i find that i only have one hand free and it is dificult to load the spring. co2 is semi auto so its much faster to fire off. and side arms are usually last resort so you dont need to to last the whole battle as apposed to needing your primary weapon mostly the entire time
Back to top Go down
View user profile
team evike

Weapon of Choice : still looking

PostSubject: Re: the Pro's and Con's of Gas Guns   Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:12 pm

is it the same about co2 that you will get less FPS the more you shot it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the Pro's and Con's of Gas Guns   

Back to top Go down

the Pro's and Con's of Gas Guns